At Marian College, giving witness to our Vision and Mission statement is integral to our planning for the school’s future over the next few years. These statements serve as a continual reminder of our ultimate goal and future directions as an educational community.
A Community growing in Faith and Love
Striving to Achieve
Thinking for the Future
As our Community faithfully continues the journey of the Brigidine Sisters, immersed in the teachings of the Gospels and living the core values with strength and kindness, Marian College will:
- Establish an environment that capitalises on our natural tendency for learning and use exemplary teaching practice so that all students can learn effectively and with a sense of purpose.
- Respect and promote the uniqueness of each individual and provide opportunities for all to navigate their own path in life, realise their potential, and contribute to the growth of the community.
- Celebrate effort and excellence, both personal and communal, in order to enhance the capacity for growth and learning.
- Assert that justice requires a radical discomfort about the suffering of others and work to be an agent for change.
- As a custodian of our Earth, confirm our faith in the future through careful stewardship that models and promotes a responsible and restrained use of resources.
- Acknowledge our strengths and our common humanity by celebrating diversity.
From these core values emerge a set of foundational beliefs that influence all Brigidine college’s strategic direction, educational philosophy and operational priorities. Marian College is no exception.
- We believe authentic Catholic education is a valid expression of the teaching mission of the Church today
- We believe in the right of every person to a good education, regardless of race, creed, sex or socio-economic status
- We believe in providing quality educational services and programs that contribute to the well-being of all students
- We believe in our responsibility as educators to speak and respond to issues of justice
- We believe that the highest professional standards should be pursued by all who teach and support the education in our schools
- We believe in the gospel value of stewardship which is the source of our commitment to maximise the use of resources for the common good of all within the school community.
These Core Values and Foundational Beliefs are consistent with and contribute to this communities understanding of the Values for Australian Schooling that have emerged from the National Goals for Australian Schooling in the Twenty-First Century.
These shared values such as respect and ‘fair go’ are part of Australia’s common democratic way of life, which includes equality, freedom and the rule of law. They reflect our commitment to a multicultural and environmentally sustainable society where all are entitled to justice.
Marian College is committed to the principles of a liberal democracy.
- We believe in an accountable, democratically elected government.
- We respect and observe the rule of law, and believe that no person is above the law.
- We believe in equal rights for all before the law, regardless of race, ethnicity, religion, sexuality, gender or other attributes.
- We believe not only in the freedom of religion, but also the need to practice tolerance and understanding of others’ beliefs.
- We believe in the value of freedom of speech and freedom of association, but also acknowledge that we have the responsibility not to abuse this freedom.
- We believe in the values of openness and tolerance, and value and respect all members of the school community regardless of background.